China and India are the two largest countries by population in the world however they are not the largest countries by area in the world. Then who among all the countries are the largest countries in the world by area? We are going to answer the same question for you. But before that do you know which is the largest country in Asia or do you know the largest country by area in each continent? If the answer to your question is no then do read the complete article as it will answer your question “What are the 10 largest countries in the world“?
But before we go on we have an extra buffet for you and that is the name of the world’s smallest country? No, not yet just go and you will find your answer.
Largest Countries in the World By Area
The largest country in the world by area is Russia. The country is stretched over an area of 17,098,242 sq. km. Russia lies on the continent of Europe and is the ninth most populous country in the world and the most populous country in Europe. Russia covers one-eighth of the total inhabited land on the earth. What’s more astonishing is the fact that the largest country by area is larger than the continents of Oceania, Europe, and Antarctica.
Russia is the tenth most visited country in Europe and the sixteenth most visited county in the world. Around 7% of the total land is used for agricultural purposes making it the fourth largest in the world.
Canada is the second-largest country by area. The country is spread over an area of 9.98 million sq km on the continent of North America. People from all over the world are inhabited in Canada. It is one of the few developed nations in the world and the per capita income is ranked 17th in the world.
If the only land is taken into account Canada is the fourth largest country in the world as it has the world’s largest proportion of freshwater lakes. Canada is the tenth-largest economy in the world and is also the least corrupt country in the world.
The United States of America
Number three on the list of largest countries by area is the United States of America. The country spans over a total area of 98,33,517 sq. km. The developed country is located in the North America Continent and is one of the most developed countries in the world. The United States of America is also the largest English speaking nation in the world.
The country is also said to have a population of around 328 Million. The United States is a highly developed nation in the world and accounts for one-fourth of global GDP. The United States is also the largest economy in the world. It accounts for 4.3% of the total population in the world however is known to hold 30% of the world’s wealth.
The people’s Republic of China is the fourth-largest country in the world by area with a total area of 9.6Million sq. km. China is the largest country by population. China is also known for its world’s largest standing army and has the second-largest defense budget in the world. China is one of the most emerging nations in the world.
China is not only one of the largest countries by area but also is the third most biodiverse country in the world. It is from China only that the deadly Coronavirus started spreading in late 2019 and has led to lockdown around the world.
The Federative Republic of Brazil is the fifth-largest country by area in the world. With a total area of 8.5Million Sq. Km and has over 211Million people residing on its land. It is also the sixth-largest country in the world by population. Brazil is one of the most multicultural countries in the world with a diverse population residing over the land.
The sixth-largest country by area in the world is Australia with a total area of 7,742,220 sq km. Australia lies on the island of Oceania. Australia is home to around 26 million people. Australia is the country with the highest average wealth. It took over Switzerland in 2018 in terms of average wealth.
Australia is the 14th largest economy in the world.
India with a total area of 3,287,263 sq. km is the seventh-largest country by area in the world. Out of the total area, 91%of the area is land and the rest 9% is covered by water. India also has a coastline of 7,516.6km.
Along with that India is second in the list of largest countries by population. India is also the largest democracy in the world. According to IMF India is one of the fastest-growing countries in the world.
India is also the most diverse country in the world with people of several religions residing peacefully.
Argentina is officially known as the Argentine Republic is the eighth-largest country in the world by area. The country has a total area of 2,780,400. Argentina has a landmass of 98.43% and the rest 1.56% is covered by water.
Kazakhstan is officially known as the Republic of Kazakhstan and has an area of 2,724,900 making it the ninth largest country in the world. It is also the largest landlocked country (does not have any territory connected to Ocean). The Republic of Kazakhstan is also one of the least densely populated countries in the world with a population density of 6people per sq. km.
Algeria is officially known as the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria and is the tenth-largest country in the world covering an area of 2,381,741 sq. km. Algeria is also the largest country by area in Africa. However, in terms of population, it is the eighth-most populous country in Africa. In Algeria, 99% practice Islam and the rest 1% are Christians or jews.
So that’s it for the largest countries by area in the world. So, at last, let me tell you that Vatican City is the smallest country in the world with an area of 0.49sq. km.
You can have a look at the 50 Most Densely Populated Cities in the World With Immense Population